I have Penguin Girl going to day camp for most of the summer. Each camp lasts for one week and generally runs from 9am until noon. She started off with soccer (It was REALLY hot!) which she's never tried before. She happened to meet a classmate who was in her group. Then she had Ooey Gooey Art. I imagined it was going to be messier but she still had a good time. She made a sheep with googly eyes out of a balloon and plaster impregnated gauze . . .
. . . and various little creatures out of Crayola Model Magic which were sort of light and foamy after they dried . . .
. . . and prints of penguins using foam.
Last week she went to tennis camp. After the first day, Penguin Girl reported, "I am TERRIBLE at it! I did NOT hit the ball." Of course, I expected this since she has never played before and she is not the most coordinated child. However, Penguin Girl seemed sort of surprised. I suppose she thought she'd be able to pick up tennis easily because she started playing games of soccer right away even though she'd never played soccer before. I explained that tennis is a bit harder to learn to get to the point where you can play a real game with points and such. They started off with a game called Jail where you got two tries to hit the ball over the net or else you went to jail which was on the opposite side of the court where you had to catch a ball to break out of jail and get back to try hitting again. How did she do? "I ALWAYS went to jail and I did NOT catch any balls!" But by the end of the week, she said she avoided jail at least four times, maybe more, and she broke herself out of jail a couple times by catching the balls that came over.
This week we are hanging around at home. No camps because this is the week everyone collectively decides is dedicated to vacations related to the 4th of July. Mr. Destructo is running a high fever so we are watching a lot of tv. Later today, Penguin Girl will be going back to the dentist for what will hopefully be four more fillings and no extracted teeth.



No comments:
Post a Comment