Since we acquired our new pups so that Penguin Girl could experience having a pet, we told her that we were not throwing her a birthday party this year. We explained that with the dogs being so much work and their high vet bills for their check-ups and 2 different rounds of de-worming medications, we can't spare the time, energy, or expense of a party. She was disappointed but she understood.
Yesterday, I told her I was picking her up early from school to take her to a doctor's appointment and I sent a note in to her teacher saying the same. When I picked her up and started driving, she noticed pretty quickly that we were not going home. She asked if we were seeing a new doc. Yup.
At the end of the drive, I pulled into the parking lot of the Great Wolf Lodge and she asked me if it's a hotel. Yup. She still hadn't figured out that we were not going to the doctor's. I explained to her that in the back of the hotel, there is a giant water park and we were there to meet Her dad and brother and this is her birthday surprise. We walked in the front door and Mr. Destructo jumps out and yells, "Surprise!"
She was very surprised. She played for about 6 hours and thought it was more fun than a birthday party. Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Charlotte partnered with the Great Wolf Lodge to sell tickets to the water park as a fundraiser. Normally, you have to be a guest at the hotel to use the water park, which we would never do in a million years. I paid $20 total our tickets! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this promotion.
Tomorrow Penguin Girl will bring rainbow fruity-pebbles-rice-krispie treats to school to share with her class. They'll all sing happy birthday in Chinese. It's very cute. We asked Nate what he would like to give to Lorelei and he said a Harry Potter book and a Harry Potter DVD. Good choice, very appropriate. So I ordered a 2-book set that is supposed to be 2 of Harry's textbooks and the 7th movie. He and I will wrap it up while she's at school. I got her a couple of art books about mixed media collage, keeping an art journal, and a blank sketch book to keep her own art journal. I think she'll be pretty surprised because 2 new puppies and the fanciest water park ever are probably more than she expected.

No comments:
Post a Comment