Thursday, October 4, 2012

WRAM

The video broadcasting system at Penguin Girl's school is called WRAM because the ram is their mascot. There is a video broadcast every morning for the day's announcements. All 4th and 5th graders may apply to be on the broadcast team. When they handed out the application forms a few weeks ago, Penguin Girl was soooo enthusiastic. She had a week to write her application essay. But during the week she had to think about it, she got so anxious about the whole school watching her that she chickened out. She said she didn't want to do it after all.

I asked her why she changed her mind and she was really inarticulate about her reasons. Really the only thing that she said was that she was nervous about having everyone watch her even though she would be in a room in the school media center with a few kids and a teacher. I gave her a big lecture about how she can't be afraid of trying to achieve her goals or she will never get anywhere. She happened to get a fortune cookie the night before when her grandparents took her out to dinner for her birthday that pertained to taking advantage of opportunity. Since she was being all wishy washy, I got all tiger mom on her and told her she had to write the essay. It turned out way better than I thought it would--she actually wrote about quite a few attributes that would be important to have for this activity and gave a relevant example to show that she possessed each quality. And only one misspelled word!

A week ago, she came home from school and said that she was chosen to do a screen test.  She read a script with a partner and the librarian videotaped her delivering the info.  She was very pleased to have been chosen.  I had no idea there was even going to be an audition in addition to the application.  Her reading partner said that 10 kids would be eliminated.

Today I picked her up, took her to the park so she could do homework, and then we went across the street for her swim practice. It wasn't until we'd gotten home and she'd showered up that she remembered to mention that SHE'S ON THE WRAM TEAM!!!!!!

Way to go, Penguin Girl! I'm so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment