Thursday, May 15, 2008

Visiting School

I took Penguin Girl to Beginner Day at the elementary school she will be attending in the fall.  It's a magnet school that specializes in foreign language immersion.  She'll be in the Chinese program there.  We heard the principal speak and introduce some of the staff she thought the parents should know.  Then there was a little fashion show to demonstrate what proper uniform attire should look like and to let the kids know there are still a range of choices for them within the limits of the uniform rules.  Then all the kids went with the teachers of their language and did some activities in the classroom.  One of the activities was like Simon Says but in Chinese.  I was pleasantly surprised how fast all the kids caught on since most of the kids don't already speak Chinese.  

This next part really surprised me.  While we were in the classroom, they announced over the loud speaker that there was a school bus available in the parking lot.  Your child could get on and take a look so they know what it's like riding the bus.  When Lorelei heard this, she ran over to me totally excited by the idea of riding the bus.  I had no idea she'd be interested in riding the bus.  She went and got on the big yellow bus and thought it was cool.  I'll have to see what the bus schedule is like.  

Then we went back to the cafeteria where they had a snack set out so the kids could see what going through the lunch line is like.  I doubt Penguin Girl will be buying lunch.  She eats so slowly that she can't afford to while away time waiting in the lunch line.

It was still raining when we left the school and the traffic was horrible.  It took about 75 minutes to get home and poor baby was totally wailing for the last 45 since he was hungry and tired.  I rushed in the house with the intention of nursing him and getting him to bed right away.  As soon as I stepped in the house, I was greeted with 2 pools of dog vomit.  Which I should have expected because we were late and the dogs tend to vomit if meals are not on schedule.  I was able to get the baby to bed, clean up the vomit, get Lorelei dinner, and walk the dogs without losing my cool, so that was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment