This evening I took both kids to the market. One thing on my list was to get a bottle of beer for making beer bread. At this market, you can put together a 6-pack of different beers but you can't buy just an individual bottle. I was trying to pick out some that I thought Car Guy might like to try since I had to buy 5 more bottles than I needed. While I'm perusing, Penguin Girl starts reading off the names of the beers.
PG: Why does it say Bad Penny? Why does it say Hell's Brew?
(A woman who is also filling a 6-pack turns to me and says that it's so nice when kids learn to read but then sometimes you wish they couldn't.)
Me: Those are the names of the beers. Kind of like how sodas have names like Coke and Pepsi.
PG: But hell is a bad word.
(The woman is still there and the store manager is also there stocking the shelves. At this point I can see out of the corner of my eye that they are listening because our conversation could get so very entertaining.)
Me: Yes, it's a bad word. You should not use it.
PG: But why is it the name of the b.eer if it's a bad word?
Me: Well, the p.eople who named the b.eer are trying to be funny. It's like a joke for grown-ups.
The manager and the woman chuckled to themselves. They both told me they were listening to see what I would come up with because they had no idea what to say. They thought I came up with a good answer. The manager told me that he's got a 6-year-old too and he's filing my answer away for future reference.
No comments:
Post a Comment