Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Xmas!

I was very nervous about our cross-country trip to Las Vegas.  But we couldn't miss it because of the Great Family Reunion Extravaganza.  Considering how badly things can deteriorate when traveling with a toddler, our trip went smooth as silk.  There were no bouts of uncontrollable crying while trapped on the plane and Mr. Destructo had a nice nap during the long leg of the flight.  The only annoying bit was having to haul all our stuff and the kids across the whole airport for the connecting flight only to be told when we got to the gate that the gate had been changed.  Back to where we had just been.  Super.

We spent the afternoon and evening with my immediate family.  Then after dinner, we headed over to Car Guy's parents' house.  This is the house they acquired recently in anticipation of their retirement.  We had never been there before.  They were spending Xmas at home in South Carolina so the in-laws gave us a set of keys and told us the code for the keypad to open the garage.  Even though we have seen photos of this house, we couldn't tell which was theirs just by looking since every house on the street looked the same.  The house number was not on the map Car Guy printed out but he said he remembered the house number.  We pulled into the driveway and Car Guy opened the garage door with the code.  We left Mr. Destructo asleep in the car thinking that we would unload before disturbing him.

Penguin Girl went in to look at the house with Car Guy while I stopped just inside to adjust the thermostat.  When I first stepped inside, I thought, "Man, when Car Guy's sister said her folks hadn't kept the place clean, she wasn't kidding!"  The Laundry room was filthy.  There was garbage strewn around and blue detergent drippings on the floor.  After I was done with the thermostat, I stepped into the hall to the living room and I heard Car Guy on the phone with his mom saying, "Why are there dog bowls on the kitchen floor and pictures of a dog on the fridge?"

Ruh-roh.  We were in someone else's house!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Car Guy got the house number wrong.  He transposed the last 2 numbers and the neighbor just happened to have the same keypad code!  After we high-tailed it out of there and got into the right house 3 doors down, Car Guy said he suspected something was wrong when he saw there was a big screen tv, a Playstation, and the dog stuff in the kitchen.

What a Christmas adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment