Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Scuppernongs and Muscadines

One of my favorite things about the South is getting to eat muscadine and scuppernong grapes at the end of the summer.  They are not available outside of the South and the season is fairly short, September to early October.  I love how the grapes are sweet and fruity and floral at the same time.  Usually, I like the dark purple muscadines the best, but this year, I think the golden green scuppernongs have won me over.  Penguin Girl and I have gone to Lockman Vineyard twice this month to pick the grapes right off the vine.  The first visit, I kept asking Penguin Girl if she was ready to go and she kept saying she wanted to pick more.  By the time she was done, we had almost 20 pounds of grapes!  That took a while to eat.  On our second visit, the grapes were more ripe so there were lots of bees buzzing around the vines.  Penguin Girl was intimidated by the bees so she didn't pick nearly as much.  We took a little over 10 pounds home.  The smaller haul worked out well because we needed to finish them faster since they were more ripe.  I'm hoping to squeeze in one more trip before the season is over.

1 comment:

  1. I am totally a grape picky girl! I haven't been grape picking since moving from Florida. I would love to join you all next year!

    Did Mr. Destructo have a nice birthday?

    Hope all is well...talk to you soon.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete