Saturday, May 14, 2011

Enrichment Project

Penguin Girl read Miss Alaineus: A Vocabulary Disaster at school with Ms. G.  The book's plot centers around a sort of play-on-words vocabulary mistake. Ms. G gave the kids a related assignment of thinking up a word and then coming up with a creative costume.  Then the kids would do a vocabulary parade just like in the book.

Penguin Girl had some trouble coming up with a word.  After a whole lot of "thinking," I suggested she have a look in the dictionary.  That proved to be unproductive.  So I picked out a page in the dictionary on which there were many possibilities.  Finally (finally!) she chose the word "eyeglass."  Then I asked what sort of costume she envisioned.

Penguin Girl:  Well, I could have a drinking glass and make an eyeball to put in it and hold that.
Me:  Is that really a costume?
Penguin Girl:  No, not really.
Me:  Why don't you make your idea into a costume you can wear?
Penguin Girl:  You mean like a big drinking glass?
Me:  Yes!  Then you could put something in it . . .
Penguin Girl:  Yeah!  Juice!
Me:  (exasperated) Not juice!  A big eyeball!  Like your word!

No comments:

Post a Comment