Normally when Penguin Girl comes home from school and you ask her about her day, her response is a very predictable, "Fine." Today she was giddy over having a cabbage seedling to plant as part of her science homework.
Some months ago, I came across a program sponsored by Bonnie Plants that provides 3rd grade students with free cabbage seedlings so they can learn about growing plants. I let her teacher know about it and she is incorporating it into their unit about soil. The cabbage is a variety that can grow very big. The materials provided to the children say it's possible to grow a 40-pound head. Penguin Girl is very, very keen on growing a giant cabbage.
Luckily, I cleared out my garden squares last week so we have a place to plant the cabbage. The instructions say it needs a lot of space so I guess we won't be planting anything else there. And we'll need some recipes for cabbage.
No comments:
Post a Comment