Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Square Foot Gardening

I have tried planting a garden in the past, in hopes of introducing Penguin Girl to the wonders of home grown produce.  However, usually what happened is that the critters that abound outside would interfere and what we ended up with was far less than wondrous.  This year I learned about Square Foot Gardening from a friend and decided once again to give the veggie garden a try.  Car Guy made me a couple of garden squares for my birthday, with mitered corners no less!  The woman who runs the local organic gardening center said the smell of marigolds would keep rabbits away so I put in some of those.  Penguin Girl wanted to plant sunflowers and chose one packet of a mix of them and one packet of a variety called Mammoth.  The Mammoth are supposed to grow 10-12 feet.  Wowzers.  She also chose a mix of morning glories and wildflowers.  She stayed away from the veggies.  I picked out 2 kinds of tomatoes, red bell pepper, basil, and radishes.  Maybe at the end of the summer, I'll put in some lettuce.  I didn't follow the Square Foot Gardening exactly.  I just sort of packed everything we chose into the space and hoped for the best.  We'll see how quickly the critters find the new garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment