Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lipstick. Sort of.

I have memories of lots of trips to Bloomingdale's with my mom when I was little.  I realize now that it was not because my mom was a shopping maniac.  On the contrary, she was very frugal.  It was just something to do to get out of the house while she was an at-home parent.  My older brother was already in school and my younger brother had not yet made his entrance into the world. 

On one of these trips, I recall my mom choosing a lipstick for herself. I must have asked if I could have one and she picked out what was essentially a lip balm, colorless but in the same shiny, silver lipstick tube.  At the time, I thought it was very cool to have such a pretty lipstick although I did wish it was just a little pink.  Now, I know that it was a ridiculously extravagant treat for my mom to have bought me because it was a real grown-up item from the cosmetics counter.  I would have been thrilled with a cherry Chapstick which would have cost much, much less.

Penguin Girl likes a good lip balm so we made some.
  • 1 slightly rounded teaspoon grated beeswax 
  • 1 teaspoon mango butter
  • 1 teaspoon castor oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon jojoba oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon avocado oil
  • several drops essential oil (optional, for fragrance, Penguin Girl picked tangerine)
  • small glob of lipstick (optional, for color)
We put everything into a glass measuring cup and set in in a water bath in the crock pot.  That was too slow.  I got impatient.  I switched to microwaving the mixture for 30 seconds.  After cooling for a minute, I poured the stuff into empty .15oz lip balm tubes.  The recipe made 3 full tubes.

Me:  What do you think?
PG:  Cool.
Me:  What did you like best about making lip balm?
PG:  Decorating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment