Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's Not Harry Potter

Penguin Girl loves her books and she loves her movies.  A while back we read Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and then watched the movie versions (with popcorn, of course).  I remember loving the old version with Gene Wilder.  Penguin Girl prefers the re-make with Johnny Depp.  I can't argue with her.  Having refreshed my recollection with our viewings, I found the old one creepy and annoying.

I thought we ought to do another book/movie combo.  The whole Harry Potter franchise came to mind.  Penguin Girl really digs the books with lots of fantasy and magic.  I have a couple of the HP books from the library book sale (books number 2 and 3 for 50 cents, score!) and I ordered some of the others from a used book website.  But we still needed something else to read in the meantime.

Luckily, I stumbled across 100 Cupboards at the library a few days ago.  So far there are three books in the series.  The 100 cupboards lead to other worlds.  We're only on chapter 3 so far but it's a tiny, tiny bit spooky. If it were a video, Penguin Girl would be covering her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment