Over the weekend we went out to dinner. We meant to go to a particular restaurant on the other side of the city because we have a gift card. Who doesn't like a free dinner? But when we got there--at freaking 5:30pm!--there was already a 20 minute wait for a table. I'm pretty sure there was no Early Bird Special and it seemed like a really big restaurant (big enough they had stacks of beepers to handout). Who were all these people!? Mr. Destructo can't take that kind of wait without wreaking some serious havoc. Instead, we went to a sort of upscale sushi restaurant that a childhood friend of Car Guy's recently opened that was a few blocks away. It was good, kind of fancy, and definitely pricey. Afterwards, Car Guy asked Penguin Girl if she realized how lucky she is to get to eat a fancy sushi dinner and if she knew when Mom and Dad first got to eat such a fancy sushi dinner. My response, "Just now!"
On the way home Penguin Girl noticed that the car was running low on gas:
Cranky Apple: It's ok if we run out of gas. You can just go out and push the car.
Penguin Girl: Why do I have to push the car?
Cranky Apple: I'm going to have to stay in the car to keep Mr. Destructo company.
Car Guy: And I'm going to have to steer the car and Mr. Destructo is too little to do anything. You're the only one without a job so you have to push.
Penguin Girl: (She is silent for a while thinking of a way to get out of pushing the car.) But what if Mr. Destructo falls asleep. If I am pushing the car, I'll make a lot of noise and wake him up.
Car Guy: That's ok. We'll all be inside the car with the windows up and the radio on.
I laughed until tears started running. It was the bit about having the radio on that did it. I can't count how many times my folks pulled the You-Kids-Will-Have-to-Push-the-Car Routine. I hated it. It was so annoying. But not quite as annoying as the Eating-Fish-Will-Make-You-Smarter Joke. We are totally becoming our parents. Sorry Penguin Girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment