Monday, March 8, 2010

Weekend in Review

One of Penguin Girl's favorite people in the whole world is Ms. Carolyn, one of her preschool teachers.  Ms. Carolyn is starting a new school based on the idea that kids should be outside experiencing nature whenever possible and held an open house this weekend.  I took Penguin Girl so she could say hi to Ms. Carolyn and we tromped around the grounds.  I had seen photos of the property and thought it looked really great but in person, it was way, way, way more amazing than I pictured in my mind.  As soon as we got there, Penguin Girl took off with arms flapping and ran through the field all the way to where the woods began.  Shortly afterwards, a former classmate of hers arrived with his family to join the fun.  All the kids promptly started gathering sticks and built not one but two teepees.  The sun started going down and the kids had to be dragged away to go home.

Another activity we did over the weekend was to break out Penguin Girl's new Snap Circuits kit.  I'd heard about these kits from friends and that they were a fun way to learn about electricity and electronics.  The kit I got for Penguin Girl has instructions for 300 projects.  We only did the first four:  a simple circuit to power a light, the same circuit powering a motor to spin a fan, a sound activated speaker that played music, and the same speaker but with an added resistor to lower the volume.  It was fairly easy for Penguin Girl to do the actual assembling of the parts but she did need someone to double check the accuracy of her construction.  Penguin Girl thought it was really cool which is not surprising.  The kit is definitely cool and Penguin Girl is all about science.

She also had a chance to play with BBC Dance Mat Typing.  She was very pleased that she passed the first level and earned a certificate.  I asked if she liked this program better or Tux Typing and she couldn't pick a favorite.  That means the Dance Mat Typing must be pretty fantastic because Tux Typing features Tux the Penguin and it's hard to beat a penguin typing.

No comments:

Post a Comment