Car Guy is sometimes able to get free tickets to various entertainments through his office. On Friday he called with the news that he scored 3 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters so I could take Penguin Girl and Penguin Girl could invite a friend. (Penguin Girl always invites her best friend, K.) I reminded Car Guy that he'd actually gotten 3 tickets last year also so I've already taken Penguin Girl and K to see the Globetrotters. Really? Yes, really. Still, it'd be wasteful not to go.
Car Guy had work to do so he stayed home with Mr. Destructo. Penguin Girl and I picked up K and off we went. I was planning to read a book, Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy, while the girls watched the show since I have seen the Globetrotters on ABC's Wide World of Sports countless times in my youth and it was always pretty much the same show we saw in person last year. It's much louder in person. So as to minimize interruptions, I gave the girls some ground rules. They would be allowed to speak English to each other but they had to speak in Chinese to me. (Penguin Girl and K go to a Chinese immersion school. While Penguin Girl has grown up listening to me speak Chinese, K only started learning last year in kindergarten so her verbal skills in the language are more limited. K is the one who generally talks non-stop.) Worked like a charm. I got through a third of the book. It's a very entertaining read.
When we get tickets to this particular venue from Car Guy's office, we get to sit in a suite. For this evening performance, there was a nice spread of food set out buffet style: popcorn and potato chips; hot dogs with sauerkraut, relish, onions, ketchup, and mustard; chicken strips with 2 types of dip; macaroni and cheese; and a dessert selection of 3 different kinds of cookies and some sort of brownie with a fudgy-gooey topping. There was the usual selection of beverages stocked in the fridge at the back of the suite. Since the girls had already seen the show, I think the food really helped to keep them occupied. Penguin Girl ate all sorts of things. K stuck to popcorn for the most part. Thank goodness it was available in the suite (and free!) because I was not about to make multiple trips down to the concessions on the main floor. It was a whole lot of excitement for an evening. Both girls crashed before I even got the car maneuvered out of the parking garage.
Me: Did you like the show better this year or last year?
PG: Definitely this year.
Me: Why do you think it was better this year? The show is almost the same every year.
PG: No, this year one of the Globetrotters got down on the floor and did funny stuff. And that Globe-y guy bounced on his head. That was funny. When he fell down and bounced on his head. That was really funny.
Me: I'm pretty sure that happened last year, too. I think you just don't remember it. What did you like most about the food?
PG: (thinking for a long, long time) The cookie.
No comments:
Post a Comment