When Penguin Girl is off from school, I try to take her places that she normally doesn't get to go to but that her brother and I go with some regularity. She always thinks she is somehow missing out on the very mundane when she hears me talking about these places. We took a trip to the farm store. Normally, I pick up some fresh produce in the store while Mr. Destructo plays with their cute little set up of table, chairs, toys, and whatnot. However, I actually made the trip to visit the organic gardening center that's in the barn behind the store. But the kids still like to go into the store. Mr. Destructo must play with the airplane, helicopter, and school bus, and Penguin Girl pets the dog, Mort, and chats up the owner.
Out at the barn, there is a lot of running around to see the chicks that are inside and the hens and rooster in the coop outside. Somewhere in all this running about, I buy a big sack of diatomaceous earth. I read that you can safely sprinkle it around to kill bugs. I am waging a war against the ants that are living somewhere behind our siding and coming into the house through the master bath. I have to stay away from just spraying Raid everywhere since we don't want Mr. Destructo to grow a third eye or a hump on his back. I have tried all sorts of baits, store-bought and DIY, with varying degrees of success. Mostly not much. The diatomaceous earth is supposed to dessicate the ants and kill them. (I tested it by catching a few and putting them in a container with some of the DE. We went out to Trader Joe's and when we came back, the ants were in fact dead.) We'll see if it has any effect on the little buggers in the bathroom.
After the farm store, we headed over to the sandbox park. Penguin Girl loved this park when she was little. She used to mill around in the giant sandbox and could do so indefinitely. I take Mr. Destructo a couple times a week. It's usually fun. He'll often get into a kerfuffle with another child over a toy and does the whole throwing himself to the ground thing and cries most piteously. But, alas, life is hard. We need to learn how to take turns and share. They started off having fun together.
That didn't last long. Mr. Destructo went off to do his own thing. Penguin Girl realized the sandbox park is really meant for children smaller than her and did her own thing, too.


No comments:
Post a Comment