Friday, June 11, 2010

The Magical Bread Machine

I have been wanting to try to make pineapple buns.  This is a Chinese bread that has no pineapple flavor but gets its name from the sort of cross-hatched crust on top.  The only place to buy these buns is a 30 minute drive and they are about $1.50 apiece.  Outrageous!  

I searched the wonderful internet and came up with a few recipes.  I chose one and made some alterations.  Using the bread machine, we made the dough.  We got this bread machine as a wedding present and it still works great although it has not been used in years.  Penguin Girl thought the machine was pretty cool.  I had to shape the buns as the dough turned out too sticky for Penguin Girl to handle.  They looked pretty good with the topping.


I should have made the buns smaller.  They got really big after rising for the final time and baking.  Also, the topping got too soft and spread too much.  The bread was good but on the second day the texture was vastly inferior.  It needed a bit more fat.  Penguin Girl enjoyed them.  No surprise there.  This girl will happily eat anything except veggies.



No comments:

Post a Comment